Tuesday 3 January 2023

Deism and Experiencing God

 


Four months ago, I was asked, "You are an extraordinary person, how did you come to be?"

Surprised, I told them the story of how God had intervened in my life. I finished by saying that "you have heard about God second hand through this story, but when you leave this place, and you are alone, so there is no chance of being embarrassed in front of each other, ask God to speak to you, and when he does, you  will truly have a decision to make."

A few weeks ago, I was in Columbus Ohio, and an African American porter took my bags up to the fourteenth floor to my hotel room. After she put down my bags, she turned and said, "God told me that you have something to tell me, what is it?"

Taken aback, I told her a few of my many encounters with God and she burst into tears. 

"I have been running from God for the last three years."

"In that case, if God has reached out to your in such a special way then if you decide not to run with God, then don't be surprised if he doesn't speak to you again for a long time."

"Why?"

"Because God doesn't like to be taken to be a fool. If he has respected you by reaching out in this way then don't be surprised.

If you had a boyfriend and he treated you with disrespect, wouldn't you step back?

After all, we are made in His image."

Two weeks ago, I was interviewing a candidate for a job. During the interview, he said, "You're a Christian aren't you?" 

 Realizing God was at work, I put aside the interview and we talked about our experiences with God. As we heard each other's stories, he began to weep.

I said, "God is touching you through the Holy Spirit, what is he saying to you?"

"I have realized that my conception of God is too small."

"In that case, we should pray."

Afterward, I said, "you have been through the most extraordinary job interview in your life, go home and pray about what you should do with your life. Find out what God wants you to do. And if you decide not to work here, I will not be offended."

There is a theological school of thought called "Deism," which holds to the idea that God created the world and then steps back to watch how it turns out.

I think that you can tell that I do not support Deism.

In fact, the bible records how God has intervened in the world's affairs, and he continues to do so today.

Jesus said that he knew what to do because he saw what God was doing and then he joined him in it.

God is at work all around you. Watch carefully and when you see him at work, then drop everything and join him.

If you haven't seen him at work in a long time, you may even be doubting that you can even see if him at work at all. Then pray to God who can make physically blind see, that he may give you spiritual sight.



No comments: